09 January 2010

I am not sure I dislike anything more than the process of moving. The endless searching for a place, the packing, the actual moving, the unpacking and the certainty that this is not the last time in your life that this will happen. Its enough to make a girl with ulnar nerve entrapment want to scream.

When my leased ended this year at my lovely 1 bedroom Queen Anne apartment, I moved in with AJ and his roommate under the guise that when his lease was up, we'd find a place for just the two of us. Well, the end of the year came and we're still in this ratty apartment in Northgate. There is a hole in the ceiling, plumbing isn't great (we buy bottled water), the hallway smells like urine...This is definitely not a place I'd ever pick but I can understand it for two guys just living.

Is it true what they say that 2 is company and 3 is a crowd? AJ and I found a beautiful apartment in Queen Anne but its only a 2 bedroom. Not really suited for 3 people (which is what we have now). The location wasn't exactly ideal in my mind since it wasn't really walking distance to most things - which is what I love about Queen Anne, the walkability - but I loved the apartment. Sweeping views of downtown, big closets, nice space. However, after we left there we went and looked at a townhouse in the Central District and it was really nice...but its much too much space for 2 people - its made for three and so is the price. He's going to check out this other house for us today that looked beautiful online and has a fire pit in the backyard. Drum circle anyone?

Okay, so after all of that, my dilemma. Do I tell AJ that I want it to be just us, because that makes me more comfortable and settle for the not as nice of a place or do I just go with the flow and have another roommate? Cheaper rent and utilities (which is nice since I have NO job) and I would get an entire dining room in which to host my dinner parties... The thing is, when you live with two boys there is no personal space for a girl. None.

Sigh. I have reached no conclusion.

2 comments:

The Sheppard Bunch said...

I would be honest with how you feel. Maybe you could keep looking for a place that is still nice but suited for just 2 people?

Beth said...

Yeah - we found a place for 3 people that still fits the criteria for me, so that's not so bad! And right now, I'm kind of poor so its good that I can try to still save a little.